Praxinoscope: Physical Computing Project 3

Praxinoscope

 

 For this third project in Physical Computing, I took into account feedback from classmates regarding my Zoetrope and made several adjustments, not the least of which was converting it into a Praxinoscope.  Check out the video below to see it's development!

 

In addition to converting the Zoetrope into a Praxinoscope, I also played with the idea of creating a simple animatronic by controlling a servo's position with a potentiometer. 

Sadly, I needed to abandon that pursuit in order to successfully complete my original task. Nevertheless, I'll show the progress made and share the wiring schematic for potential future development.

I also experimented with using sound as the driver for the servo. The code is below for future use.


Zoetrope Feedback

  • Visibility of the animation is obstructed by the zoetrope's shutters and should be improved
  • Pressing the button was uncomfortable.  Add a toggle/ click switch
  • The base and support can use aesthetic improvements

Praxinoscope Adjustments

  • Improve visibility by removing the shutters and using mirrors to capture the persistence of vision. 
    •  Note: the number of mirrors should correspond 1:1 with the number of "frames" in the animation. 
    •  In my case, there are 12 frames, and 12 mirrors, each center aligned to capture the image as clearly as possible.
  • Design a base in Carbide Create and precisely cut wood material using a CNC machine.
  • Swap the push button with a toggle switch.

 

Development


I wanted something ornate for the base and designed the shape in maya, but the rule of occam's razor is always in effect, and a much simpler outcome was used instead.



Online Resources